Web designers’ insurance

In partnership with

We’ve teamed up with UKWDA to get you up to 10% off your professional indemnity insurance.

Professional indemnity
 a month
 for £50,000 cover

Professional indemnity insurance defends you against claims of negligence, breach of confidentiality, dishonesty, libel and slander. We offer up to £10,000,000 cover.

+ Public liability
 a month
£1,000,000 for physical damage and injuries caused by your business
+ Cyber liability
 a month
£50,000 for hacks, breaches and data loss
Based on an annual income of up to £25,000. All prices include IPT at 12%.
Quote online for turnovers up to £5,000,000, or call and talk to an expert.
Code red

The internet is a great place to show off your work, sure, but it’s an open door to trouble too. Everyone’s a critic these days.

Your clients only want your best work representing their business. And it doesn’t take much for someone else to claim your brilliant idea was theirs.

Fighting your corner takes time and money. Web designers’ professional indemnity insurance provides both – with reputation-saving legal expertise thrown in for good measure.

Net some today.

Why do web designers need professional indemnity insurance?

What business doesn’t have a website these days? An invisible one is what.

But not just any old website will do. Clients pay you good money to design and develop something that not only works and looks good, but gets them business too. No easy task.

If your masterpiece fails to convert leads, doesn’t do what the client wanted or keeps crashing, they’re going to start asking questions. Awkward questions like: who’s going to pay for our lost business? When can we expect our sales to increase? Have you got a solicitor?

You might not have done anything wrong, but that doesn’t always matter. The fact there’s an allegation against you is enough. You have to do something about it and that takes time, effort and money.

That’s when web designers’ insurance steps in. It pays your legal bills, argues your case and frees you up to keep running your business.

You need it because you have a business to run. Because you don’t have unlimited funds. Because you’re not a legal expert. Because your reputation matters.

What else is there?

How much professional indemnity insurance do I need?

Professional indemnity insurance protects your business. No one else’s.

So you have to decide what level of cover is enough for you. Consider what you do, who you do it for and how much it’s worth. Think about worst-case scenario and what could go wrong. What’s the most expensive mistake you could make (or be accused of making)?

Always bear in mind that you can’t have too much cover. Your legal defence can cost many tens of thousands of pounds – and that’s before the compensation bill from your client arrives. Your level of cover has to be enough to cover all of this.

It’s a tricky one to get right. Have a read of this guide or call us if you need more help.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

Negligence claims and allegations made against you by clients and third parties, because of mistakes you’ve made and things you’ve failed to do.

Specifically (but depending on the policy wording):

  • Defamation
  • Intellectual property infringement
  • Loss of documents or data
  • Negligent misrepresentation or misstatement
  • Employee dishonesty
  • Virus transmission
  • Breach of confidentiality
  • Failure of third-party equipment

But that’s not all. Some professional indemnity policies can fix a mistake before your client is even aware of it, thereby preventing a claim in the first place.

Clever stuff.

What else do I need?

Public liability insurance is for when you go out and about on business, or have visitors to your office. It’s for claims of physical damage to property and people. Useful if you’re clumsy.

Employers’ liability insurance covers your business if an employee sues it for damages. Claims are usually because they’ve suffered injuries and illnesses as a consequence of working for you. It’s a legal requirement for UK businesses with employees.

Office and property insurance covers the things in your office (furniture, plants, fixed IT equipment etc) and portable insurance covers gadgets and technical equipment away from the office (laptops, tablets, projectors etc). If you’re not sure it’s worth insuring, add it all up – it’s probably worth more than you think.

Business interruption insurance means you can still work when your office is out of action. Be it flood, fire or flea infestation, you’re covered for the costs of setting up elsewhere and for any lost revenue in that time.

Directors’ and officers’ insurance covers your company bosses. Anyone from regulators to shareholders to competitors can accuse you of not running a business with due care. Worse, directors are personally liable for their actions. The good thing is this insurance covers your defence costs and any compensation you have to pay. So you can put away your chequebook.

Read what our customers say about us
Excellent service & knowledgeable, friendly staff.
Web Design & Development, Consultancy
6 December 2018
I was told by my previous insurance company that they could no longer provide insurance for my business, so after 3 years with them I shopped around for a new insurer. PolicyBee provided a quote quickly, covering exactly what I needed and at a good price.
Web Design & Development, Consultancy
22 October 2018
Simple, straightforward and easy to understand website and process, would recommend.
Web Design & Development, Consultancy
2 May 2018
Prefer to talk it through?

We’re here Mon-Fri, 9-5.30.

Give us a ring on 0345 561 0320

Or ask us to ring you

Kerri-Ann Hockley
Head of Customer Service