Charities and trustees insurance
Helpful, knowledgeable people for expert advice.
Pay by interest-free Direct Debit, PayPal, or credit/debit card. Your budget, your way.
Specialist policies. Only pay for the cover you need.
What's special about this policy?
Our specialist charity and trustee policy, underwritten by Hiscox, is designed to protect the interests of anyone involved in the management or administration of a charity.
The policy includes three separate areas of insurance cover:
- Trustees and individual liability insurance
- Employment practices liability insurance
- Professional and legal liability insurance
Why you need charities insurance
The Hiscox Charity and Trustee Insurance policy from PolicyBee, is designed not only to protect charities but charity trustees too.
As a trustee, you volunteer your time to make life a little better for others, but in doing so, you expose yourself to risk and liabilities you may not even be aware of.
You're potentially liable for the outcome of all decisions and actions carried out in the name of the charity - and charities are subject to the same onerous regulations and bureaucracy as any other sector in society today.
Even if you're not liable, the high cost of defending yourself against a claim can be devastating, both financially and emotionally.
Which is why, as a charity trustee, it makes sense to protect yourself so you can help others knowing that, should things go wrong, we can help you.
In the event of a claim, the policy will cover the cost of legal advice and representation as well as any compensation that the charity, you, or any other trustee could be liable for.
What's special about this charities policy?
This charities policy has been created specifically to protect the risks and potential liabilities of UK charities and their trustees.
It incorporates a separate limit specifically for claims brought against individuals, ensuring that your and the other trustees' personal assets are not at risk from a claim against the charity.
Three protections in one policy
Trustee and individual liability insurance
To protect you against claims for any breach of duty in your capacity as a trustee this policy covers:
- Claims brought against trustees, directors, officers, employees and volunteers
- Legal costs for allegations of breach of Health and Safety legislation
- Legal costs of representation at an investigation e.g. by The Charities Commission
- Legal costs for allegations of fraud or dishonesty
- Legal costs and awards for claims by fellow trustees, employees or volunteers
Employment practices liability
This provides protection against employment claims and includes:
- Claims brought against the charity, trustees, directors, officers, employees and any volunteers
- Third party claims including harassment or discrimination by a volunteer
- Legal costs of representation at an investigation
Professional and legal liability
This protects you against claims for any breach of duty in the course of your business activities so that you are covered for:
- Defence costs and awards for claims against the charity including negligence, misuse of funds, libel and slander
- Direct financial loss to the charity following dishonesty of employees or volunteers
- Replacement costs for lost or damaged documents
- Breach of warranty, authority, or fiduciary or statutory duty
Is this the right policy for you?
You can pay for Charities and Trustees Insurance by monthly interest-free Direct Debit.
This means your organisation can spread the annual cost of the insurance and make budgeting easier.
Also this policy is written on a continuous basis which means you avoid the hassle of having to renew your policy each year.
Two-page policy summary of the key information and benefits of a sample charities insurance policy.
Important information about the terms and conditions from a sample charities insurance policy.