Phone icon
Menu icon
Professional insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Local rate & mobile friendly

What charities’ insurance should you get?

13 April 2016

Storm in a (broken) teacup?

Please give generously.

The simple request at the heart of all fundraising.

If only everything was that simple. Running a charity isn’t, unfortunately, just about raising money. People, events, regulations, property and so on all come with the burden of added responsibility.

With responsibility comes consequence, and with consequence comes repercussion.

So how do you make sure your charity keeps on the straight and narrow?

Don’t take it personally

If you run a charity, in legal terms you’re considered a trustee. And as a trustee, you’re responsible for everything your charity does and says. More importantly, just like company directors, trustees are personally liable for the consequences of their decisions.

Allegations that your charity has done something wrong could well leave you having to defend yourself. That means a solicitor – and legal costs to leave your bank balance, and other assets, reeling.

Trustees’ insurance, then, would seem to be just the ticket.

What do you get? Well for one, it’ll pay for a team of specialist legal experts to defend you in court. And if the worst happens and you’re deemed liable, then it’ll pay out any compensation too.

A simple way to dodge a bullet, in other words.

Twist of fete

It’s the 21st century and health and safety is king – all it takes is a stray tennis ball coupled with a brittle old teapot to create an injury-causing projectile. Before you know it, your gentle village fundraising get-together could end with a compensation claim against you.

Public liability insurance for charities is what you need.

You’re protected if someone’s injured or their property’s damaged while they’re at an event you’ve organised. The good thing is your policy will pay to defend you regardless of whether you’re at fault or not. And if it turns out you are, that expensive-looking compensation figure will be covered too.

Help where you need it most

Last but by no means least.

Employers’ liability insurance is what you need if you have people (paid or unpaid) working for you.

It’s your charity’s responsibility to look after the people who work for it or help it out. The HSE has made it a legal requirement that every UK organisation with staff, including charities, has to have employers’ liability insurance.

And volunteers? Technically, they’re different to an employee because they’re not paid. But, the HSE’s definition of an employee covers unpaid workers, helpers, and volunteers too. So, legally speaking, you have a duty of care to provide a safe working environment and adequate training or them if needs be.

If one of your guys is injured or ill as a result of working for, or helping, your charity, and claims against you, this policy pays to defend you. It covers any damages awarded to your staff, too.

It’s a sad fact that for all your best efforts to help others, a claim being made against you is always a possibility.

Insurance is just the responsible way to make sure you’re protected.

For more information, talk to one of our team on 0345 222 5399 or get a quote.

Share this

Comments are closed.

More from this category

Celebrating the unsung heroes of the charity sector
Are small charities sleepwalking into a governance and risk management crisis?
Cyber security for small charities: new guide to staying safe
Get a quote