We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Insurance for teachers and tutors

Top-class protection for your livelihood and your reputation. Covers accidental damage, professional mistakes and a bookbag full of other risks.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Public liability and professional indemnity
from £10.71 a month

Public liability insurance - for physical damage and injuries caused by your business and the products you supply.
Professional indemnity insurance defends you against claims of negligence, breach of confidentiality, dishonesty, libel and slander.

Portable equipment
£5.38 a month
£5,000 to replace your work laptop, tablet, phone etc
Based on an annual income of up to £25,000. All prices include IPT at 12%. Quote online for turnovers up to £5,000,000, or call and talk to an expert.
Clever cover

The theory of probability teaches a valuable lesson – that unpredictable things happen. Like someone or something getting accidentally hurt. Or a client saying your teaching hasn’t made the grade.

If there’s a claim against you, for damage or poor work, teacher insurance and tutor insurance has all the answers you need.

What insurance do teachers and tutors need?

These are the essentials for teachers’ insurance and tutors’ insurance.

Public liability

As sure as some of your students won’t do their homework, accidents happen. Public liability helps if anyone or anything gets hurt.

Say a student trips over your laptop cable and is injured. Or a spilt mug of coffee does serious damage to someone else’s expensive tech and textiles.

If there’s a claim, public liability pays your legal costs and any compensation, no matter where you do your teaching – at home, at a student’s house, in a school or elsewhere.

Remember also that most schools, local education authorities and tuition businesses will require you to have public liability cover before you can take on a contract.

Professional indemnity

In the same way you scrutinise your students’ work, clients scrutinise yours. If there’s an accusation your standards fell short, clients, schools and LEAs may demand compensation.

Maybe a student didn’t perform as well as expected in exams. Or you based your teaching on an outdated syllabus, leaving pupils unable to answer key questions.

Professional indemnity insurance saves you the time and expense of having to deal with a claim. It pays for a solicitor to fight your corner and covers any compensation. It might just save your reputation too.

How much insurance do tutors and teachers need?

Good question.

For public liability, you need to consider the potential cost of claims made by other people for damage to themselves or their property. We’re talking trips, slips, spills and breakages here – the kind of things it’s difficult to predict.

For professional indemnity, try to put a value on the worst mistake you could make. Say a student claims your poor teaching cost them a place at university. Or it’s discovered you taught pupils an outdated syllabus.

Whether a claim is justified or not, you’ll still have to fight it. And the combined price of legal advice, court costs and compensation can make for a very expensive lesson indeed.

People can be precious about their children. So, buy as much public liability and professional indemnity cover as you can afford. It won’t let you down.

What else do I need?

To be fully covered, you should consider these other kinds of self-employed teacher insurance and private tutor insurance.

Business interruption insurance

If the place you use to teach is out of action for any reason, it pays for you to set up elsewhere in the meantime and covers any lost revenue.

Contents insurance

Pays to fix broken stuff and replaces as new things that are lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair – like computers and pianos. If you move from place to place, portable equipment insurance covers the kit you take with you. So, laptops, phones, instruments and more.

Buildings insurance

Pays repair and rebuilding costs if the place you use as your teaching base is damaged by fire, flood or accident.

Employers’ liability insurance

If you run a tutoring or teaching business and you employ people; you need this cover by law. It protects you if someone says working for you caused them injury or made them ill.

Personal accident insurance

If you or a key employee have an accident and can’t work, your earnings take a nosedive. This cover pays medical bills and compensation to help keep your business afloat.

Why should I buy my insurance from you?

Platinum-standard service

Our stellar customer feedback and our Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award speak volumes about the quality of personal service we offer.


Business and charity insurance is all we do, and we’ve been doing it a while. So, we know what we’re talking about.

No hidden charges

We won’t charge you anything to make admin changes. And your monthly payments are interest-free.

Speed & ease

Because we’re online, you can set up your cover in minutes. We’ll email you your documents and a website badge to show you’re insured straight away.

No jargon

We speak in plain English, not insurance jargon. And our friendly advisers are just a phone-call away.

What our customers say...
got the best price and the best product
Education Consultancy
10 June 2024
Provided my very new, tiny business with the insurance cover I needed, and nothing superfluous, and competitively priced, to boot!
Coaching and leadership development
31 May 2024
Straight forward and clearly explained. Not a complicated policy and handled as such
4 May 2024

Prefer to talk?

Call us and a real person answers. No call centre, no phone menu, no scripts. Just friendly, helpful advice from a business insurance professional.

We're here Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.
0345 561 0320
Catherine Roberts
Account Executive
Sarah Adams
Sales Team Leader
Yasin Akdemir
Schemes Team Leader
Sian Adams
Medical Malpractice Team Leader
Zoe Langford
Senior Account Executive