We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Insurance for freelancers

Working for yourself doesn’t mean you’re on your own. If a client has a problem with your work, freelancers’ insurance is the team of legal, financial, and risk experts you need on your side.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Professional indemnity insurance
from £8.14 a month for £100,000 cover

Covers the costs of fixing your mistakes, and defends you against allegations you’ve not done your job properly. A must-have for business with paying clients.

Public liability insurance
£4.20 a month
£1,000,000 for physical damage and injuries caused by your business
Cyber insurance
£17.56 a month
£100,000 for hacks, breaches and data loss
Based on a quote for IT services with an annual income of up to £25,000. All prices include IPT at 12%. Quote online for turnovers up to £500,000, or call and talk to an expert.
Cover when you need it most: every day.

Being your own boss: an exciting chance to control your own destiny or a terrifying ticket to an uncertain future?

Well, it’s true that working for yourself gives you the freedom to choose what you do, where and when you do it, and who you do it for.

But it also means that you’re on your own. Doing without the security of an employer takes guts, hard work, and total commitment. Your success depends on it.

So, if you’re going it alone you need all the help and support you can get.

That’s where freelance insurance comes in. We know that freelancers are vulnerable; larger clients won’t hesitate to roll out the lawyers if you make a mistake.

We also know that it’s unlikely you’ll have the time or resources to defend yourself if they do. Don’t worry, we’ll point you in the direction of good policies from reliable insurers designed to protect you if the worst happens.

Freelance insurance FAQs

Why do I need insurance as a freelancer?

Flying solo means looking after number one. For one simple reason: your livelihood depends on it.

Whether freelancing’s your full-time job or just a side hustle, you’re responsible for any problems. So, if a client takes issue with your work, or someone’s property or person gets damaged on your watch, you’ll be the one answering for it. Whether you’re at fault or not.

That’s why having freelance insurance is so important. It offers you the financial and legal support to fight off accusations and claims that could, in a worst-case scenario, completely derail your career.

Besides that, there’s nothing like the mental comfort of knowing your broker’s only a phone call away when you need them. Like having a lawyer, PR guru, and superhero all rolled into one.

What insurance do freelancers need?

Professional indemnity, public liability, and cyber insurance will go a long way towards giving you security and peace of mind as a freelancer.

In the end, though, it’s all about weighing up the amount of risk you face. And the type of risks you face.

When you’ve orders to complete or deadlines to meet, a catastrophe that damages your equipment or workplace can seriously set you back. Contents insurance covers the things in your office, while portable equipment insurance is for anything you take out and about with you. So, whatever happens – be it fire, flood, theft, or damage – you can carry on working.

Equipment breakdown cover is a handy add-on to contents and portables insurance. It covers ‘that bit in the middle’ when an item hasn’t been physically damaged or stolen…it just goes kaput.

Legal expenses (LE) insurance is your ally when you’re caught up in a legal dispute. Could be a client’s refused to pay your invoice. Or you’re in line for investigation by HMRC. LE sorts out your legal aid, and at a fraction of the cost of hiring a lawyer yourself.

Need a straightforward run-down of all the different types of freelancers’ insurance? Look no further than our blog on what insurance freelancers need.

What does freelancer professional indemnity insurance cover?

This essential insurance for freelancers protects you against claims of negligence made by dissatisfied clients.

If you find yourself in a dispute with a client, professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending any allegations or claims made against you.

If you’re in the wrong, the insurer will either pay to fix your mistake or compensate your client if that’s not possible.

What does freelancer public liability insurance cover?

Freelancer public liability insurance covers claims against you for bodily injury and/or physical damage.

If you visit clients’ premises (whether it’s for an hour’s meeting or on a daily basis for six months) or they visit yours, and there’s an accident that’s your fault, you could be held liable.

This insurance covers the cost of your day in court and any compensation owed to your client.

Do freelancers need employers’ liability insurance?

We get asked a lot about employers’ liability for freelancers. And rightly so. The Health & Safety Executive can impose hefty fines for not having it when you should.

The clue’s in the name when it comes to employers’ liability (EL) insurance. You only need it if you have actual employees.

But that doesn’t only mean full-time staff. It also includes part-timers, occasional or temporary help, volunteers, and people on work experience.

So, if you find yourself in the lucky position that you have too much work, and you hire others to lighten the load, you’ll need to protect them with EL. It covers you against claims of injury or illness made by employees.

How much does freelance insurance cost?

Several things can affect the cost of insurance for freelancers. Like your annual turnover, how many people you employ, and whether you do any work outside of the UK.

It stands to reason that the more cover you buy, the more you’ll pay. Though you should think twice before cutting any corners. The last thing you want is to be underinsured.

Imagine your worst-case scenario and how much it could cost to fix. Both in terms of legal fees and the damages owed to the person claiming against you.

Remember, even small mistakes or pratfalls at work can quickly stack up. We’re talking £tens of thousands for legal defence alone…and that’s before your client’s compensation bill rolls in.

Can I pay monthly for freelance insurance?

That can depend on which insurer you buy your policy with. That said, most of our customers have no problems paying for their freelance insurance via monthly Direct Debit payments.

The quickest and easiest way to find out is to start a quote online. Or give our team a call and we’ll be happy to run through your payment options with you.

Why choose us?

We know business insurance. And we know how to deliver a stress-free and quick service that can sort out your insurance in a few clicks.

The best part? You can do it all online. From getting a quote to having your documents delivered straight to your inbox.

Don’t worry, though. Our expert advisers are on-hand to answer any questions you might have. Just give us a call.

You won’t have to tackle jargon with us, either. We always speak in plain English and keep everything as simple as possible.

As a bonus, you’ll also get some extras with your insurance:

Still not convinced? Take a look at our customer feedback.

Advice, News & Know-how
What our customers say...
I wasn't sure what insurance I needed to called and spoke to Jenna, she was super friendly and very helpful. I felt more informed and happy make a decision.
Copywriting and Editing
25 July 2024
Simple, straightforward and good value. No ridiculous forms or questions that don't apply. Helpful over the phone and easy to get what I wanted.
Tax advisor
24 July 2024
Excellent service at a good price.
24 July 2024

Prefer to talk?

Call us and a real person answers. No call centre, no phone menu, no scripts. Just friendly, helpful advice from a business insurance professional.

We're here Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.
0345 561 0320
Catherine Roberts
Account Executive
Sarah Adams
Sales Team Leader
Yasin Akdemir
Schemes Team Leader
Sian Adams
Medical Malpractice Team Leader
Zoe Langford
Senior Account Executive