We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Sole traders' insurance

Being a sole trader can be lonely, especially if there’s a problem. Sole trader insurance gives you a team of legal, financial and risk experts, so it’s less ‘all by myself’ and more ‘all for one’.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Professional indemnity insurance
from £8.14 a month for £100,000 cover

Covers the costs of fixing your mistakes, and defends you against allegations you’ve not done your job properly. A must-have for business with paying clients.

Public liability insurance
£4.20 a month
£1,000,000 for physical damage and injuries caused by your business
Cyber insurance
£14.40 a month
£100,000 for hacks, breaches and data loss
Based on a quote for IT services with an annual income of up to £25,000. All prices include IPT at 12%. Quote online for turnovers up to £500,000, or call and talk to an expert.
Insurance for sole traders

Working for yourself can bring fantastic rewards. But it can also bring risks.

Whichever way you spin it, you're in charge. On top of your day job, you could also be responsible for looking after marketing, accounts, sales, ordering stationery, equipment maintenance, cleaning, insurance…

But it doesn’t matter how organised you are, things can go wrong. Accidents happen, a client complains, or your equipment gets damaged or stolen. And you’ll need time and a large bank balance to sort it.

That’s where sole trader insurance comes in. It gives you a team of experts on hand to help smooth out a crisis and fight your corner.

Sole trader insurance can (among other things) pay legal costs and compensation if a client complains the job isn't A* quality. Or if you break a priceless possession or injure a client. It can also cover your kit for loss, damage or theft.

It offers the support and security you need when everything’s on you.

What insurance does a sole trader need?

Professional indemnity insurance

When you’re the boss, the buck stops with you. And if someone says the work isn’t up to scratch, it can be a problem.

You give someone bad advice, or a job doesn’t go to plan, and you can have an unhappy client who says they’re out of pocket.

Sole trader professional indemnity (PI) insurance compensates your client and pays for a specialist solicitor if you need one.

You can read more about professional indemnity insurance here.

Public liability insurance

Accidents happen. It doesn’t matter how careful you are.

Spill a coffee over a client’s laptop, wreck their antique furniture or leave your toolbox out and they trip and injure themselves, and it can cost you. If your client says you’re liable, you’ll face a bill.

Legal fees, court costs and compensation, can run into thousands. Sole trader public liability insurance (PL) will cover all bases. Even if it isn’t your fault, PL will help defend you.

Employers’ liability insurance

Just because you're a sole trader, don't scroll past this one…

Being a sole trader doesn't always mean you work on your own. Your business could have a sole trader legal structure and employ people.

Or you could work by yourself but find you have too much work on, and need some help – either temporary, part-time or voluntary.

Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ someone. You can be fined if you don't have it. Read more about employers’ liability insurance for sole traders.

Portable equipment insurance

Whether you’re a builder with a van full of tools or a graphic designer with a laptop, as a sole trader, you’re probably going to have some kit. And if it gets damaged or stolen, you can’t work.

Portable equipment insurance covers you for accidental loss, accidental damage, malicious damage and theft by paying for repairs or replacing as new. It means if disaster strikes, you can get up and running again quickly.

Cyber insurance

Cybercriminals only go after the big guys, right? Wrong. Anyone who uses email or has a website or computer network is at risk.

Accidentally clicking on a malicious email that gives criminals access to your network, or worse, your client's data, could spell disaster. As could being tricked into giving away your bank details to the wrong person.

Cyber insurance brings in the experts to stop attacks, fix systems and retrieve any lost data. It pays your legal costs and any compensation awarded if you're sued because sensitive data is lost.

Personal accident insurance

You are your most valuable asset. And if you injure yourself, that can be bad for business.

Personal accident insurance pays to keep your business going while you’re out of action. And it can contribute to your income while you can’t work.

Advice, News & Know-how
What our customers say...
Fast affordable service and helpful pleasent staff
Event and wedding organisers
3 December 2023
Easy to access the right insurance that I needed for a reasonable cost.
Business Development Consultancy
30 November 2023
So far so good with PolicyBee. The quote and purchase process was easy and clear. My first contact by phone was impressive. The woman I spoke to was knowledgable, friendly, helpful and proactive about answering my query. Very pleased.
Freelance copywriting and Editing
30 November 2023

Prefer to talk?

Call us and a real person answers. No call centre, no phone menu, no scripts. Just friendly, helpful advice from a business insurance professional.

We're here Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.
0345 561 0320
Catherine Roberts
Account Executive
Sarah Adams
Sales Team Leader
Yasin Akdemir
Senior Account Executive
Sian Adams
Medical Malpractice Team Leader
Zoe Langford
Account Executive