Photographers’ insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Photographers’ insurance

Protect your work, your gear and your reputation in a flash with professional photography insurance.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Essential insurance for photographers
from £18.35 a month

Photography equipment insurance pays to fix or replace your cameras, laptop, phone, lights, sound recording equipment etc. £5,000 cover from £5.44 a month.

Public liability insurance covers third-party property damage and injury caused by you or your business. It’s useful if you go out and about to meetings or events, or if people come and see you. £1,000,000 cover from £4.20 a month.

Professional indemnity insurance defends you against claims of negligence, breach of confidentiality, dishonesty, libel and slander. £100,000 cover from £7.08 a month.

Equipment breakdown insurance covers electrical or mechanical malfunction of equipment including data recovery. £5,000 cover from £1.63 a month.

Legal expenses
£4.67 a month
£100,000 for commercial legal disputes and debt recovery
Based on an annual income of up to £25,000. All prices include IPT at 12%. Quote online for turnovers up to £10,000,000, or call and talk to an expert.
Focused protection for your business

Others rely on your expert eye and top technical skills to capture memories that’ll last forever. But if you slip up somehow, your client’s special day could be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

If things do go wrong, professional photographers’ insurance and photography equipment insurance are there to help save the day.

It’s a good reason to get clicking.

Do photographers need insurance?

If you want to protect your business, photographers’ insurance is a must.

Members of the British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP) or Master Photographers Association (MPA) definitely need it. Both specify public liability insurance and professional indemnity as a condition of membership.

Plus you need employers’ liability insurance if you have employees - even if they’re part-timers, unpaid helpers, temps or interns. It’s the law and without it, the Health and Safety Executive can fine you £2,500 a day.

Why do photographers need insurance?

Because clients can be difficult, gear can go missing, people can get hurt, and Murphy’s Law is bound to kick in sooner or later.

Say your photographs fall short of a client’s expectations. Worse still, you lose the lot when a memory card corrupts.

What if all your gear is stolen or you drop your camera? And you’ve got a big job scheduled for the next day?

How about if your tripod topples over onto someone, causing them to fall down some steps and be badly hurt?

When things go wrong, or your kit is out of action, photography insurance pays for expert help and covers costs. It’s a shot in the arm to keep you working.

What insurance do photographers need?

Most photographers’ insurance claims we deal with are for damaged, lost or stolen gear.

Being without the stuff you need costs time and money, plus it’s unlikely you can afford to replace all of it in one go. Getting photography equipment insurance means you don’t have to. It even pays to hire in kit temporarily while yours is being repaired or replaced.

Professional photographers’ public liability insurance should also be on your list, because other people and their property need looking after.

If you or your equipment accidentally damage something or someone, you can be looking at a big bill to compensate them or fix what’s broken. Public liability insurance means your insurer picks up the tab instead.

If you value your reputation, it’s probably a good idea to have some professional indemnity insurance. This one covers the work you do, and the consequences of a client thinking you’ve not done it very well (even if you think you have).

How does professional indemnity protect photographers?

If a client is unhappy with your work and decides to sue you, photographers’ professional indemnity insurance pays your defence costs and any compensation you’re liable for. Even if you’ve not actually done anything wrong.

For example, you’re covered if your clients don’t like the photographs you’ve taken, or if a technical problem with your equipment means you can’t do something you said you could. So, it could pay for reshooting wedding photos if the happy couple aren’t.

Professional indemnity for photographers also covers you for things like infringement of intellectual property. Useful in this information-is-everywhere age.

How much does photography insurance cost?

You can protect your business with equipment insurance, public liability, professional indemnity and equipment breakdown from around £18 a month.

But you should make sure you have enough of each type of cover. If you have a lot of gear for instance, you need to be certain you have a sufficient amount of photography equipment insurance.

To choose the right level, add up everything you use to run your business, from laptops and cameras to lenses and tripods. Make sure you include it all, or you’ll be underinsured, which can leave you out of pocket.

Likewise, the level of professional indemnity insurance that’s best for your business will depend on what kind of photography you do. Try and think about the cost of the biggest mistake you could make. There’s some help with getting it right here.

What our customers say...
Easy and answered my questions quickly
24 July 2022
Really straight forward I hope all future business with them goes as smoothly. Appreciate the flexibility and the different coverage elements.
25 June 2022
I’m simply blown away by the price for our photography insurance . I was looking at renewing my insurance as my last insurance company hiked their prices ridiculously. PolicyBee is amazing very straight forward and a really great price.
18 May 2022
Advice, News & Know-how

Prefer to talk?

Call us and a real person answers. No call centre, no phone menu, no scripts. Just friendly, helpful advice from a business insurance professional.

We're here Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.
0345 561 0320
Catherine Roberts
Account Executive
Sarah Adams
Sales Team Leader
Yasin Akdemir
Senior Account Executive
Sian Adams
Senior Account Executive
Zoe Langford
Account Executive