Health and safety insurance

No more risky business

Pick an H&S consultants' insurance package (if your turnover's under £50,000) or build your own.

Professional indemnity: £250k
Public liability: £1m
Portable equipment: £1k


a month

Professional indemnity: £500k
Public liability: £1m
Portable equipment: £1k


a month

Professional indemnity: £1m
Public & employers' liability
Portable equipment: £2k


a month

Professional indemnity: £250k
Public liability: £1m
Portable equipment: £1k

a month

  • No admin charges
    For anything, ever
  • Buy online in minutes
    No forms, no fuss
  • Speedy service
    Less admin, more business
  • Interest-free Direct Debit
    Your budget, your way

Stay in one piece

Pointing out your clients' potential pitfalls can add to yours. If you miss something or give them the wrong advice, and there's an accident, it won't just be them slipping up.

Protect your business with H&S consultants' professional indemnity insurance. It's a zero-risk option.

Why do H&S consultants need professional indemnity insurance?

A hard hat and a clipboard can only offer so much protection. None at all when there's legislation involved.

Your clients know this too and are expecting you to make sure they're safe. The consequences of breaching health and safety law can be costly; for you and your client.

The fact is mistakes happen every day and, sooner or later, you could be faced with an irate client. Worse still, a negligence claim - or even just an allegation - won't go away and is enough to scupper your business.

Professional indemnity for health and safety consultants helps by paying your legal defence costs, fixing what's wrong, and compensating your client too.

Having it means you don't need to be a legal expert or a limitless pot of money. You don't need to worry about protecting your reputation either. You can just get on with doing what you do best: running your business.

How much professional indemnity insurance do I need?

There's safety in numbers. Specifically, the numbers on your insurance.

In simple terms, the more cover you have, the more protection you have. Our advice is always to buy as much as you can afford. You just never know.

But, if you have one eye on the budget (and who doesn't?), you might want to narrow it down a little. In that case, you need to think about what can go wrong, worst-case scenario. What sort of businesses do you work with? What industries are they in? Are they big or small? How much is your very biggest mistake likely to cost to put right?

We know it's difficult. If it helps, have a read of this guide or call us if you need more help.

What does professional indemnity insurance cover?

Negligence claims and allegations made against you by clients and third parties, because of mistakes you've made and things you've failed to do.

Specifically (but depending on the policy wording):

  • Defamation
  • Intellectual property infringement
  • Loss of documents or data
  • Negligent misrepresentation or misstatement
  • Employee dishonesty
  • Virus transmission
  • Breach of confidentiality
  • Failure of third-party equipment

But that's not all. Some professional indemnity policies can fix a mistake before your client is even aware of it, thereby preventing a claim in the first place.

Clever stuff.

Do I need public liability insurance?

It's hard to evaluate risk without seeing it first-hand. It's an unavoidable part of your business. All of which, ironically, increases your risk.

Health and safety consultants' public liability insurance covers you if a third party (client, member of the public, anyone) accuses you of damaging property or injuring a person.

If there's a claim against you, your policy pays your legal costs, fixes what's wrong and compensates the injured person.

What else do I need?

Employers' liability insurance covers your business if an employee sues it for damages. Claims are usually because they've suffered injuries and illnesses as a consequence of working for you. It's a legal requirement for UK businesses with employees.

Office and property insurance covers the things in your office (furniture, plants, fixed IT equipment etc) and portable insurance covers gadgets and technical equipment away from the office (laptops, tablets, projectors etc). If you're not sure it's worth insuring, add it all up - it's probably worth more than you think.

Business interruption insurance means you can still work when your office is out of action. Be it flood, fire or flea infestation, you're covered for the costs of setting up elsewhere and for any lost revenue in that time.

Directors' and officers' insurance covers your company bosses. Anyone from regulators to shareholders to competitors can accuse you of not running a business with due care. Worse, directors are personally liable for their actions. The good thing is this insurance covers your defence costs and any compensation you have to pay. So you can put away your chequebook.

Why should I buy my insurance from you?

Glad you asked.

The simple answer is: we know what we're doing. Professional insurance is all we do so we know what you need, even if you don't.

We also know that buying insurance can be, well, a bit of a pain. So we make sure getting yours is quick and hassle-free.

We do all that while treating you like a human being, too. You won't find a call centre here. Or a phone menu. And we've banned nonsense insurance jargon.

Anything else? Well, there's the great stuff you get, such as 20% off everything at MOO. We have an 'I'm insured!' badge for your website too - perfect for the professional professional.

Also, we'll give you money each time you recommend us.

Plus, every insurance-related question you can think of is answered in our School of Risk, and you'll get our quarterly risk advice email - 'The Waggle' - to help you avoid problems in the first place.

If you're after a second opinion, have a look at our customers' feedback. They're the ones you should really listen to.

Risk tips for health and safety consultants
School of Risk for Health and Safety Consultancy

A new register for health and safety consultants

It might seem like common sense but being able to demonstrate you take your business seriously is important and it shows you’re a credible professional. That credibility is the reassurance and protection your clients look for when they come to you for advice.


Buy online in minutes. Less admin, more business!
yay banner image
  • No admin charges
    For anything, ever
  • Buy online in minutes
    No forms, no fuss
  • Speedy service
    Less admin, more business
  • Interest-free Direct Debit
    Your budget, your way
What other health & safety consultants say about us
The system was clear and process was very easy to follow and I can now concentrate on delivering my Health & Safety Training & Consultancy in peace of mind with PolicyBee's support.
A good general understanding of my requirments was demonstrated on the telephone in the first conversation - this veered me initially towards using PolicyBee. Deal was concreted by offering a very competetive quote in a friendly manner.
I was doing a general search for PI insurance. PolicyBee offered the most straightforward and simple options and I was able to choose exactly which additional cover I wanted to the basic policy if any. I actually ended up with the same company I was with but much cheaper.
Excellent service - quick response and friendly. Thanks.
Easy to use and more to the point it was in my price range.

Favour the phone?

No problem - we'll call you.

Sarah Adams - our health & safety consultants' insurance expert

I'm Sarah,
our health & safety consultants' insurance expert.

Got a question? Need a quote? Call me on
0345 222 5376, or click
'Call me back'.