Phone icon
Menu icon
Professional insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Local rate & mobile friendly

Public liability insurance for videographers

Trouble on set

There’s nothing like the hustle and bustle of a shoot. It’s busy, messy, and dramatic.

Unfortunately, when there’s so much going on, it’s easy for slip-ups to happen. There are cables and tripods to trip over, and heavy equipment to land on unsuspecting heads. If you work with other people, there’s a chance you could damage their kit, too.

Luckily, the right insurance can help. Public liability can step in if you injure someone, or damage their property. It can pay for any legal fees and compensation, leaving you free to do what you do best.

Why do I need public liability insurance?

When it comes to genuine mistakes and accidents, people are (on the whole) pretty understanding. However, if you’re responsible for injuring someone else or damaging their property, they’ll expect you to put things right. And rightly so – it’s not a legal requirement, it’s just good manners.

Public liability insurance can step in and pick up the tab for any legal fees and compensation. That way, you can do the right thing without breaking the bank.

Reputation, and money, saved.

How much public liability do I need?

There are no rules dictating how much public liability insurance you need (unless your professional body says otherwise).

But there are a couple of things to consider. What’s the most amount of damage you could do? How much would it cost to put it right? Are your clients large companies, or little startups? Do you ever work at height? All these things could increase the amount of public liability you need.

And remember – you can never have too much cover. If you can afford it, err on the side of caution and buy as much as you can.

What else do I need?

Professional indemnity insurance is for negligence claims. If a client alleges your footage is poor quality, or you haven’t fulfilled the brief, PI will pay your legal defence costs. If you are at fault, it’ll compensate your client.

Employers’ liability insurance covers your business if an employee sues it for damages. Claims are usually because someone who works for you has suffered injuries or illnesses – because of working for you. EL is a legal requirement for UK businesses with employees.

Office and property insurance covers the things in your studio (furniture, lights, fixed IT equipment etc) and portable insurance covers gadgets and technical equipment when you’re on location (cameras, tripods, tablets etc). If you’re not sure it’s worth insuring, add it all up – it’s probably worth more than you think.

Business interruption insurance means you can still work when your studio is out of action. Be it flood, fire or flea infestation, you’re covered for the costs of setting up elsewhere and for any lost revenue in that time.

Directors’ and officers’ insurance covers your company bosses. Anyone from regulators to shareholders to competitors can accuse you of not running a business with due care. Worse, directors are personally liable for their actions. The good thing is this insurance covers your defence costs and any compensation you have to pay. So you can put away your chequebook.

Why should I buy my insurance from you?

Glad you asked.

The simple answer is: we know what we’re doing. Professional insurance is all we do so we know what you need, even if you don’t.

We also know that buying insurance can be, well, a bit of a pain. So we make sure getting yours is quick and hassle-free.

We do all that while treating you like a human being, too. You won’t find a call centre here. Or a phone menu. And we’ve banned nonsense insurance jargon.

Anything else? Well, there’s the great stuff you get, such as 20% off everything at MOO. We have an ‘I’m insured!’ badge for your website too – perfect for the professional professional.

Also, we’ll give you money each time you recommend us.

Plus, every insurance-related question you can think of is answered in our School of Risk, and you’ll get our quarterly risk advice email – ‘The Waggle’ – to help you avoid problems in the first place.

If you’re after a second opinion, have a look at our customers’ feedback. They’re the ones you should really listen to.

Read what our customers say about us
Very friendly and efficient over the phone. Understood the product and what I needed from it.
IT Training and Consultancy
18 March 2019
The agent was knowledgable and professional. The process was explained to me and the cost/benefit too. Decision made. Job done.
Business Consultancy
18 March 2019
quick and efficient. It was done in minutes.
IT Consultancy and Contracting
17 March 2019
Prefer to talk it through?

We’re here Mon-Fri, 9-5.30.

Give us a ring on
0345 561 0320

Or ask us to ring you

Sarah Adams
Senior Account Executive