Professional insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 222 5391
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Check the wording of your IT industry insurance policy


Industry reboot

Not too long ago, if you met someone at a party, asked them what they did and they said "I’m in IT", you’d have a pretty good idea of what that meant. Computer stuff, basically.

Ask the same person that question today and you might get an answer like: "I design networks" or "I develop apps" or even "I’m an SEO and Google analytics consultant specialising in social media and online PR".

That’ll have you nodding thoughtfully, for sure. And maybe questioning the type of parties you go to …

IT girls and IT guys

So what does all this mean? Well, it goes to show that there isn’t really such a thing as an ‘IT guy’ any more. As technology develops and becomes more specialised, the skills and expertise required to understand and apply that technology become more specialised too.

Granted, any two consultants might be considered IT people and both might work with technology, but the risks they face could be completely different.

For example, a web designer could face claims for copyright and intellectual property infringement; a software consultant could face claims of breach of contract due to failure to deliver the right spec software.

Two roles, same industry, different risks.

Personal firewall

Now, most decent insurers are aware of this and – all credit to them – have designed specific professional indemnity insurance policies to cover these risks. It’s still worth having a long, hard think about the work you do, however, and checking the cover you have is the cover you need.

Insurance for the IT industry should cover these risks

If you have a professional indemnity policy already, check the wording to make sure it’s IT-specific rather than miscellaneous or generic. Ideally, it should include cover for claims arising from:

  1. Supplying things like hardware or software.
  2. Use of third-party content (like pictures, video or music).
  3. Negligent virus transmission.

Also, check the level of cover is enough. You don’t want to be left high and dry if a client sues you for more than your policy will pay out.

How do you know how much is enough? Think about these things: if you make a mistake, what’s the worst-case scenario amount of money needed to fix it? How expensive could it be to defend yourself if you’re dragged into a dispute? (Answer: very.)

And finally, just to be sure, it’s a good idea to talk it through with someone who knows. Someone like a professional indemnity insurance broker for example.


If you liked this, you might like thesethis...

Feel the healing energy of reiki insurance
How do reiki insurance, qualifications and experience help you follow the reiki principles and run a successful practice? Find out here...
The Most Popular Nostalgic Beauty Trends on TikTok
Want to know what nostalgic beauty trends are top of the hashtag rankings on TikTok right now? Beauticians and hairdressers, be prepared...
How to compare professional indemnity insurance
You can't compare professional indemnity insurance on price alone. You also need to look at cover, claims, and what kind of service you get.

More Advice, News & Know-how

Sign up to being prepared and protected

Get reliable advice on protecting and fine-tuning your business or charity sent straight to your inbox. Plus, receive other occasional bits we think you'll enjoy, like competitions and offers. We promise not to swamp you, and you can unsubscribe easily.

Sign me up