Phone icon
Menu icon
Professional insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5.30pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Insurance for drafting

Even small mistakes cause big problems. Protect your work, your reputation and your bank balance with professional insurance for professional people.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Get your quote

Or speak to a friendly expert on 0345 561 0320

Professional indemnity
from £15.75 a month

Professional indemnity insurance defends you against claims of negligence, breach of confidentiality, dishonesty, libel and slander. We offer up to £2,000,000 cover.

addPublic liability
£3.73 a month
£1,000,000 for physical damage and injuries caused by your business
addEmployers’ liability
£3.73 a month
£10,000,000 legally required cover for employers
Based on an annual income of up to £50,000. All prices include IPT at 12%.
Quote online for turnovers up to £250,000, or call and talk to an expert.

When your clients require accuracy down to a fraction of a degree, there’s a lot of pressure to get things right. And when you’ve got less room for errors, that’s when they seem most likely to crop up.

Luckily professional indemnity insurance for drafters can help. If a client alleges a mistake in your work has cost them money, your PI insurance pays for a specialist solicitor to defend you. If you are at fault, it can compensate unhappy clients or third parties.

Why do you need it? Because it helps save you time, money, and your reputation.

What insurance do drafters need?

If you’re a member of a professional body, professional indemnity insurance may be compulsory. The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists and Royal Town Planning Institute both require practising members to hold PI insurance.

If you ever go to visit clients, public liability insurance is useful. This covers you if you’re responsible for injuring someone or damaging their property. You should also consider portable equipment cover.

If you have any employees, it’s a legal requirement that you have employers’ liability insurance. This provides compensation for your employees if they suffer an illness or injury at work and you’re to blame. It also covers legal fees, if needs be.

What level of cover do drafters need?

Some, but not all, professional bodies specify minimum levels of cover for their members.

RTPI members fall under these guidelines:
Annual fee income below £40k: £100,000 minimum level of cover.
Annual fee income £40k - £199,999: two and a half times gross annual income.
Annual fee income £200k or more: £500,000 minimum level of cover.

If your professional body doesn’t require a minimum level of cover, or you’re not a member of one, you’ll have to decide how much insurance you need by yourself.

You should consider, what you do, who you do it for, and the maximum potential cost if things go wrong. For more help on what to consider, read this guide on what to consider.

What's run-off cover? And does a draftsman need it?

Run-off cover is insurance that starts when you stop trading. Potential problems with your past work don’t go away just because you’re no longer in business - you can still be held liable for defects and negligence. Run-off cover protects you against claims arising from work you’ve already done.

Generally, drafters should have it for at least six years. Call us for more information on how to get it.

Read what our customers say about us
So fast, concise and efficient. Made a daunting job so easy. Will definitely be recommending to all.
28 January 2020
Quick cover, great response to changes to policy and value for money
3 September 2019
Excellent. Incredibly straightforward and quick to arrange. Which is just what you need to get basic cover.
James Basil,
25 August 2019
Prefer to talk it through?

We’re here Mon-Fri, 9-5.30.

Give us a ring on
0345 561 0320

Or ask us to ring you

Amy Restall
Account Executive