Buying – and understanding – professional insurance isn't always easy.

If there's anything you're not sure about, you might find the answer here or in the glossary.

And feel free to give us a call on 0345 561 0320 if you're really stuck.

General queries

Do I have to pay VAT on my business insurance?

No - you pay insurance premium tax (IPT) instead. The current rate for this is 12% and it's included in all our quotes.

What types of insurance are compulsory for self employed consultants?

To a certain extent that depends on what you do and any relevant governing bodies' requirements. For example, professional indemnity insurance is compulsory for chartered accountants and surveyors who are members of RICS.

Apart from vehicle insurance, the only legally required business insurance is employers' liability. This is generally only for businesses that have one employee or more but there are some exemptions. If you're not sure you need it, feel free to get in touch with one of the team on 0345 561 0320.

How do I recommend you to a colleague?

There's a really simple form for you to complete and that's it – we'll do the rest. (Thanks for thinking of us, by the way.)

What insurance do you do?

Our focus is on commercial insurance rather than domestic insurance so we can't insure your car or your house.

Professional people come to us for: professional indemnity, public liability, employers' liability, office and general business insurance, small business directors' and officers', trustees liability, personal accident, cyber insurance, product liability for goods sold online and cover for commercial legal expenses.

We've made it really easy to get a quote, and buy, most of these policies online. Feel free to give us a call on 0345 561 0320 if you'd prefer to talk to someone about what you need instead.

About buying online

Does the professional indemnity insurance I can buy online cover me worldwide?

That depends on what you do and which insurer underwrites your policy.

Some occupations are covered to work in the EU; some are covered worldwide. there may be some geographical limitations, but these will be stated in the policy wording included with your quote.

If you need cover in specific countries, or in those other than what's noted in your quote, please get in touch with one of the team on 0345 561 0320.

I can't buy for my profession online. Can I get a quote over the phone?

Yes, no problem. If you're stuck, call the team on 0345 561 0320.

If you can't see what you do on our website, it might mean we need to have a chat about what you do first. If needs be, we'll approach a specific insurer for a quote.

Again, just give us a call on 0345 561 0320 and we'll take it from there.

I'm a broker. Can I complete online on behalf of a client?

Unfortunately not, sorry. We can't offer wholesale policies online. Your best bet is to call us.

Who provides the insurance on your website?

It depends on what you do and what insurance you’re after. It'll be Hiscox, XL Catlin or Manchester Underwriting Management. All are specialist and reliable and you'll be in safe hands.

How do I buy through your website?

It's really easy. Just click the 'Get an instant quote' button.

You'll need to spend a couple of minutes telling us about you and what you do but, once that's done, you can buy your policy there and then and download your policy documents straightaway.

How can I pay for my insurance?

Depending on the insurer, our online policies are paid monthly (or in full) by interest-free Direct Debit or via a third party finance provider called Premium Credit Ltd, or in full by credit/debit card.

Policies not arranged online are paid by credit/debit card, Bacs, cheque, and through an instalment plan provided by a third-party finance provider called Premium Credit Ltd.

I am having trouble buying online, what should I do?

Your best bet is to give the team a call on 0345 561 0320. If you're stuck, we'll be able to point you in the right direction or go through a quote with you over the phone instead.

About managing your policy

How do I cancel my insurance?

Send an email to contactus@policybee.co.uk or call us on 0345 561 0320, ideally giving 30 days' notice.

Depending on the insurer, you might get a pro rata refund but please be aware that some insurers reserve the right to retain some or all of the premium you've paid – especially if you've made a claim.

How do I get copies of my insurance documents?

Give one of the team a call on 0345 561 0320, send an email to contactus@policybee.co.uk or complete the relevant form on our existing customers page. We'll send them over right away.

How do I update my contact or other personal details?

Give the team a call on 0345 561 0320, send an email to contactus@policybee.co.uk or complete the relevant form on our existing customers page.

I've changed my bank details. What do I do?

Call us on 0345 561 0320 and we'll take care of it.

About renewing your policy

My policy is continuous. Will I have to renew it each year?

No, your policy will roll over at each anniversary at the same premium – you don't have to do anything. We let you know when that's going to happen so you'll have plenty of time to consider your options.

Assuming all's well, we'll send your policy documents to you a few days before it renews, just to confirm everything's gone through as it should.

My policy is an annual policy. What do I have to do at renewal?

We'll be in touch at least four weeks before your renewal date to start the process. It differs depending on your insurer and what type of policy you have. We try to keep things as simple as possible, however.

About making a claim

I think I have a claim. What do I do?

If you need help straightaway then it's best to call us on 0345 561 0320 and talk to one of the team. Claims are our priority and you'll have our undivided attention.

If you prefer, complete this claims form and we'll be in touch.

How long do claims take to process?

That depends what the claim is for.

Professional indemnity claims can sometimes take weeks, months or even years to resolve. A claim for a broken laptop, however, can take just a few days.

Rest assured, we take all claims seriously and we'll do everything we can to make sure that yours is dealt with as quickly as possible. You'll have your own adviser throughout the process and they'll guide you through the whole thing.

If I make a claim, will it affect me at renewal?

It's possible, yes.

It depends on what the claim was for, whether your insurer paid out and, if they did, how much they paid. The consequences of a claim could mean your insurer withdraws cover, charges you more or keeps everything as it was.

Professional indemnity insurance claims in particular vary enormously and are assessed on their own merits. Even similar claims in similar industries have different outcomes.

Buy online in minutes. Less admin, more business!
yay banner image
  • No admin charges
    For anything, ever
  • Buy online in minutes
    No forms, no fuss
  • Speedy service
    Less admin, more business
  • Interest-free Direct Debit
    Your budget, your way

Couldn't find it?

Our expert can help

Jane Aldous - our insurance expert

I'm Jane,
our insurance expert.

Got a question? Need a quote? Call me on
0345 222 5372, or click
'Call me back'.