Professional insurance
with a personal touch
We're here to help
0345 561 0320
Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, local rate & mobile friendly

Public liability insurance

Slips, trips and butterfingers cost your business time and money. Protect it with problem-fixing, compensation-paying insurance.

Quote online in less than 2 minutes

Enjoy your trip?

Public liability insurance covers you, your business and its employees. Especially the clumsy ones.

If there’s an accident and someone’s injured or their property’s damaged (and it’s deemed your fault), you could be held liable.

And it doesn’t take much: a client tripping over an ill-placed briefcase; a coffee-soaked laptop; or someone slipping on a loose carpet can all spell painful trouble. Ouch.

It could mean a claim against you for bodily injury or property damage and, potentially, a very big bill for legal costs and compensation. Defending yourself is necessary, time-consuming and very expensive. Ouch indeed.

Public liability insurance covers your legal costs and any awards paid to your client. Having it means your business won’t slip up – even if someone else does.

Why do I need public liability insurance?

You don’t.

It’d be great if we could say that and mean it. But we can’t.

Accidents happen, accusations are made, solicitors get involved and people want compensation. Rightly or wrongly these things happen every day and, sooner or later, you could be on the receiving end.

A claim won’t go away if you ignore it. And there are no shortcuts. You have to Do Something About It.

So, you need public liability insurance because you have a business to run; because you have limited funds; because you’re not legally trained; and because your reputation matters.

What else is there?

How much public liability insurance do I need?

This decision is made a little easier by the choices given to you by insurers. Most only offer £1m, £2m, £5m and £10m levels of cover. But every contract is different and if you’ve never had public liability before, what should you go for?

Well, you have to decide what level of cover is enough for you. Consider what you do, who you do it for and what damage you could do (accidently, of course). Think about worst-case scenario, your work environment, and what could really go wrong. What’s the most expensive mistake you could make (or be accused of making)?

For example, the possibility of catastrophic damage to people and property is less likely if you’re solely an office-based business than it is if you work on or around construction sites.

Always bear in mind that you can’t have too much cover. Your legal defence can cost many tens of thousands of pounds – and that’s before the compensation bill from your client arrives. Your level of cover has to be enough to cover all of this.

What else do I need?

Professional indemnity insurance is for claims and allegations of negligence, mistakes and things you’ve failed to do. Essential if you provide specialist services to paying clients.

Employers’ liability insurance covers your business if an employee sues it for damages. Claims are usually because they’ve suffered injuries and illnesses as a consequence of working for you. It’s a legal requirement for UK businesses with employees.

Office and property insurance covers the things in your office (furniture, plants, fixed IT equipment etc) and portable insurance covers gadgets and technical equipment away from the office (laptops, tablets, projectors etc). If you’re not sure it’s worth insuring, add it all up – it’s probably worth more than you think.

Business interruption insurance means you can still work when your office is out of action. Be it flood, fire or flea infestation, you’re covered for the costs of setting up elsewhere and for any lost revenue in that time.

Directors’ and officers’ insurance covers your company bosses. Anyone from regulators to shareholders to competitors can accuse you of not running a business with due care. Worse, directors are personally liable for their actions. The good thing is this insurance covers your defence costs and any compensation you have to pay. So you can put away your chequebook.

Why should I buy my insurance from you?

Glad you asked.

The simple answer is: we know what we’re doing. Professional insurance is all we do so we know what you need, even if you don’t.

We also know that buying insurance can be, well, a bit of a pain. So we make sure getting yours is quick and hassle-free.

We do all that while treating you like a human being, too. You won’t find a call centre here. Or a phone menu. And we’ve banned nonsense insurance jargon.

Anything else? Well, there’s the great stuff you get, such as an ‘I’m insured!’ badge for your website – perfect for the professional professional.

Also, we’ll give you money each time you recommend us.

If you’re after a second opinion, have a look at our customers’ feedback. They’re the ones you should really listen to.

Advice, News & Know-how
What our customers say...
Dead straightforward - a simple uncomplicated process - Many thanks
15 August 2022
Great service. I did a lot of research to find the best policy for my small therapy business & PolicyBee were simply the best!
15 August 2022
Great - quick, easy, efficient
Freelance copywriting and Editing
15 August 2022

Prefer to talk?

Call us and a real person answers. No call centre, no phone menu, no scripts. Just friendly, helpful advice from a business insurance professional.

We're here Monday to Friday, 9 to 5.
0345 561 0320
Catherine Roberts
Account Executive
Sarah Adams
Sales Team Leader
Yasin Akdemir
Senior Account Executive
Sian Adams
Senior Account Executive
Zoe Langford
Account Executive